Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Mist (Dvd) - Both

This is the forth Steven King adaptation for Frank Darabont. His previous works include The Shawshank Redemption (1994) and The Green Mile (1999). This leads me to believe he just found out that Steven King actually writes horror novels, but better late than never I guess. Darabont does a pretty good job with his first horror film allowing the horror to be human drama and not just blood and guts, which most horror films rely on these days. He also altered King’s original ending opting for a much grimmer finale.

This film quickly gets to the point. Ten minutes in and we are at our main set piece, a grocery store, and paranoia is brewing. The film is set in a small Maine town where a mist is quickly approaching after a particularly bad thunderstorm. At this ten minute mark a man runs into the grocery store alerting the principle actors to an unknown danger in the mist. The crowded store huddles in fear as the mist surrounds the now barricaded building. There is no further explanation as to why anyone should be afraid of this mist, but everyone buys into it and we begin our standoff. The group realizes, through deadly trial and error, that inhuman beasts inhabit the mist and any attempt to leave the store results in mutilation. The hysteria builds as a religious zealot claims the end is nigh, and converts soon begin to follow her. The level heads begin to plot an escape and while doing so find out that the beasts in the mist are inter-dimensional beings brought to earth through a dimensional-door opened by the military. This sounds ridiculous, but, frankly, I didn’t care. I went along for the ride, and was happy I did so. (On a side note: Turn off your brain sometimes and you will be pleasently surprised.) Eventually a group tries to escape the store and drive hoping they may find an end to the mist. The gas runs out and the survivors, realizing a horrible death awaits if they leave the car, take the quick way out. Since they only have four bullets and five individuals the male lead quickly murders the rest and exits the car screaming for the beasts to come.

This particularly grim ending is just one of the fantastic choices Darabont makes in this adaptation. King’s story ends with the survivors hearing one word out of the scrambled car radio, “Hartford.” They then head towards Hartford and the story ends. Darabont’s ending feels more realistic as it is missing the glimmer of hope. Darabont’s design crew also does an amazing job of making the fantastic creatures that inhabit the mist. My favorite shot in the movie happens as the band of survivors drive towards the unknown and a massive beast the size of a 10 story building walks out of the mist ignoring the small vehicle at its massive feet. On the flip side of the fantastic coin is Darabont’s ability to focus on the drama and horror of mob mentality. The religious zealot is able to be just as horrific and diabolical as the inter-dimensional beasts that rip people limb from limb. This isn’t to say Darbont’s film is perfect. The religious zealot is verbose and boarders on annoying at times. The mob seems all to willing to turn emotionally on a dime. And while the designs for the creatures were intense the effects crew did a particularly crude job in their execution of said designs. As a fan of Sci-Fi take my recommendation with a grain of salt. If you can’t believe in the fantastic don’t bother with this.

6 out of 10 – A satisfying Sci-Fi horror film that uses both human and inhuman horrors to tweak your nerves.



Digg!
StumbleUpon

6 comments:

Trav said...

I hate to be so shallow, but the last 3 movies you've reviewed have such generic titles, I lost interest before I even began to read them. Are these Sci-Fi Channel movies? Don't question my loyalty, though, I just ask that you review something like "Zombie Strippers."

Ashleigh New said...

I know, I know, but there hasn't been anything good out recently. Jennie and I are just trying to get something to watch. Kung Fu Panda aint our thing. Got any suggestions?

Trav said...

The Warriors. Heard a song on the new Animal Collective EP called "Street Flash" and it took me back...

Ashleigh New said...

Ahhh, we have to find another collab. title to play to completion my friend. P.s. you need to update your blog more often!

I'm not sure Jennie would like the warriors.

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to agree with Travis here...I couldn't even get through your Mist review because frankly, I just did not care.

I took a three year old to Kung Fu Panda and she wanted to leave because she was so bored. From the mouth of babes!

I'm in the midst of a Steve Martin revival and I'd highly recommend "dead men don't wear plaid" Quite funny and pretty unique.

My only other suggestion to you is to start watching "The Wire."

Ashleigh New said...

I've tried to push to wire on my wife but she aint taken just yet. The summer should squeeze it out of her though.