Add to Technorati Favorites

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Fool's Gold (Dvd)

In our continued effort to see all the Blu-ray DVDs blockbuster has to offer I bring you Fool’s Gold. This mundane film wastes an hour and a half of your time by combining How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days (2003) and National Treasure (2004). McConaughey and Hudson just seem to be here to get a paycheck, and why not? If I couldn’t spend a month in the Bahamas flirting and swimming I would. There is some inexplicable violence. There are some inexplicable boobs. McConaughey inexplicably can’t keep his shirt on for more then ten minutes.
I’m not sure what draws studios to make films like these, but I have a feeling they turn a fair amount of profit in that they can’t take a lot of money to make, and I’m sure you get some kind of return on your investment.
I just looked this up and they made 100 million off this movie, and that aint countin’ the DVD sales/rentals, so there is your answer.
If I were to compare this to something like 30 Dresses (2008) I would say this was pretty good. But that is setting the measuring stick pretty low. Hudson and McConaughey’s character’s motivations seemed interesting and diverse enough, but the other two main character’s motivations, played by Donald Sutherland and some unknown tart, were thoroughly confusing. They paid for an expedition to search for gold, with only McConaughey and Hudson’s word for it. Why would an affluent man do this? I’m sure he didn’t make his money by throwing it at harebrained schemes. And the tart, at first, seemed motivated by the thought of the shirtless McConaughey, who, as always, was playing himself. But by the end of the film Hudson and McConaughey were together while her motivation evaporated into thin air. So, while motivations were confusing at points the playful banter between McConaughey and Hudson were what kept this film afloat. I’m sure we shall be seeing this combo again, soon enough.

3 out of 10 – Not the worst Romcom I’ve ever seen… though that aint sayin’ much.



Digg!
StumbleUpon

4 comments:

Trav said...

I was wondering if you could tell us how Harold and Kumar escape from Guantanemo Bay?

Ashleigh New said...

When it comes out on Dvd shall! I actually just watched half of H & K go to W.C. (which means I can't write a review about it) but, it is a pretty good mix of insanity and humor. So I'm lookin forward to it.

Anonymous said...

wall*e?

Ashleigh New said...

that should be coming later today.