Add to Technorati Favorites

Friday, May 30, 2008

The Strangers (Theatre) - Jennie

I would be hard pressed to write this review without taking into account the experience Jennie and I had at the theatre while watching it. We had gone to see the Sex and the City movie but were idiotically surprised when it was sold out to overdressed overaged fans – more on that in the Sex and the City review. So we purchased our tickets for a Saturday showing of Sex and picked up tickets to see The Strangers instead. This ended up being the best thing we could have done. The theatre was packed with high school kids abuzz as young dating couples made idle chatter and text messages flew. This made Jennie and me antsy and feel somewhat claustrophobic. As the film started the noise subsided and the theatre grew dark. We heard a loud thump and someone shout out, “Oh, shit,” in a mundane cry for help as they fell to the floor. The theatre blew up in laughter as the patron picked himself up and hurried out of the theatre. After twenty minutes the customer came back saying audibly, “That shit hurt my knee!” to another roar of laughter. Throughout the viewing the audience participated yelling at the screen, “Oh. Shit. Girl, get out the house!” or explaining what was happening on the screen, “Them were some footsteps.” At some moments the audience screamed in fear and in other moments mocked the dialog. This made the film as enjoyable as it could have possibly been and I feel it has affected my view of the film.

From what I remember this film was a typical murder-for-no-reason horror film that dragged on for a little too long. I hate Liv Tyler and this movie didn’t help that view. Her tepid performance enticed me to root for her character’s departure. I do have to mention that I love that Glenn Howerton, Dennis on It’s Always Sunny, made a cameo though it was extremely short lived. The writing was on par with the rest of the genre, and continues the trend in horror films that Jennie and I love – everyone but the murderers die in the end. The direction was nothing to remember, but I will admit that if a sequel came out I would go see it - but only on opening night.

5 out of 10 – I feel you have already missed the window for this film to be enjoyable, but if you can watch it with a boisterous crowd, go for it. If not, then subtract two or three points.



Digg!
StumbleUpon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

was this a funny games rip off because it sure looked like it

Ashleigh New said...

I don't know about "rip-off" cause I reguarded funny games pretty highly with its meta twists. Plus, there was very little interaction between the villians and their victims unlike funny games where the interaction was heavy. The murderers just frightened them with loud bumps and creepy masks.