Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ghost Town (Dvd) - Both

I watched Ricky Gervais earlier this month on Inside the Actor’s Studio he stated that some of the best comedians did one thing, and they did it really well, he named Abbot and Costello as prime examples. They also had a lovable loser thing going on, because according to Gervais confidence aint funny. This, I’m assuming, was said to combat the critics who call Gervais a one trick pony. I tend to agree with the critics but I can see where Gervais is coming from as well.

In Ghost World Gervias remains true to his ideal stated to James Lipton and plays a largely anti-social extrovert whose near death experience leaves him with the unintended side effect of being able to speak with the dead. Since he is incredibly anti-social this irks him a great deal as now he has even more people crowding his world. In an attempt to get rid of them he finds love.

Yes, this is a romcom staring Ricky Gervais. This, in my mind, is as bad of a casting call as Ellen DeGeneres in Mr. Wrong (1996). I’m not sure who thought he would be a good lead in a romcom but I don’t have the big Hollywood pockets.

This film has a heart to it – that’s undisputable. Gervais is given the chance to help the dead move on from what is keeping them trapped in limbo. In these acts of good will and kindness the lovable loser that Gervais plays finds that the closed world he has been living in his whole life is somewhat meaningless and vapid. This is not a horribly surprising message, but Gervais plays the emotions well, and I genuinely felt good when he helped people.

The scant hour and maybe thirty minutes that this movie takes to tell its tale is a bit short, but I wouldn’t have wanted them to spend any more time on the ghosts, nor would I have wanted any more riffing from Gervais, so I guess win win.

4 out of 10 – Gervais plays Gervias once again, but this time with emotion.


Digg!
StumbleUpon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that the age of the white, upper middle class 'god, life is so meaningless' is officially over and done with. Or at least that's my hope. This was pretty okay for light fare and I'll give it extra points for not having him get together with Tea Leoni at the end (or at least have them kiss). I can forgive the ghosts, but them becoming a couple is far too unbelievable.

Ashleigh New said...

well said friend, well said.

Anonymous said...

! is this blog dead or what!?

Ashleigh New said...

No not dead, but Whenever I get home from work, I have three blogs backlogged and saved, I try to log on to the internet and 'no dice' so I get lazy and complacent, I'll post the 3 backlogged blogs soon, but I just have to get the gumtion, or however you spell that.

Sorry