Add to Technorati Favorites

Saturday, October 4, 2008

Choke (Theatre) - Ashleigh

I would have loved this movie at the turn of the century. I was always in the mode for nihilistic mood altering cinema. I would have found a message to carry away with me. But, since we are no longer in the glory days of pre-millennial film where apocalyptic views were the norm I feel this film misses the mark. Is this because I no longer think that way? Or could it be because the landscape of cinema is so different now that this type of film can’t be given the budget or the creative time that it takes to truly sculpt the nuances of the plot?

I vote the latter.

While the only other attempt to repackage Chuck Palahniuk’s work gleamed in its perfected anarchic dogma, Choke seems to wallow in nothingness. Was there a message for me to take away from the film? I’m not sure. When I read the novel I seem to remember the same empty moral. So perhaps the film did succeed in giving me nothing.

Victor Mancini, played masterfully by one of my favorite actors Sam Rockwell, is a sex addict. And similarly to Palahniuk’s previous protagonist, Victor attends meetings in dingy churches and VFW halls to cauterize his psychological wounds with other similarly afflicted individuals.

Many of Victor’s psychological scars were inflicted by his mother who is willowing away her remaining years in a pysch-ward. As her time approaches Victor attempts to ferret out his true origins from his mother and through this process begins to believe that he is the illegitimate child of Jesus. After reflecting on his life as a devious man he is lead to a revelation of sorts that he can be saved.

Being saved is a major theme in this work as Victor’s other main source of income is from victims of his con. Victor fakes that he is choking in an expensive restaurant and finds a sap to save his life. This sap then is given an overinflated since of power and importance and in turn they send Victor money every month to refresh the act of saving a life in their mind.

Victor reflects after his revelation of his birthright that Jesus didn’t start his good works till he was thirty-three – so why can’t he turn it all around? Though, as the delusion comes crashing down and Victor discovers he was actually abducted from his true family by his now dying mother Victor faces the dilemma of change. He may not be the child of the Christ, but that doesn’t mean he can’t remain a decent human.

The plot seems rather tame as I write it out. And while Palahniuk’s signature oversaturated themes of sex and grit abound the plot does seem that simple. Was I looking for too much from Palahniuk? Was this simply a story of self redemption? Possibly. But I could do with more of Palahniuk’s work.

5 out of 10: Palahniuk’s story is told with marginal success. But it isn’t something I would rush out to see.



Digg!
StumbleUpon

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i saw this just for Sam Rockwell and wasn't expecting much else- needless to say I thought it was pretty dismal. I've always felt that Pahlinuk is all bite no substance, wraping hyper-conventional storylines and themes with the window dressing of "edgy, fringe deviances" that make them seem like more than they are. He's also the master of the literary M.N.S. last minute plot twist which as you know, annoys the living shit out of me. Was I the only one who thought that the actual choking plot line received like 3 minutes of film time? It was presented as such an afterthought here!
For those fans of Rockwell among us (read: you), I'd rent Snow Angels, the film he did with David Gordon Green (i'll admit my bias of loving him TOO much)that came out earlier this year. The critical consensus was mixed but I'd give it top ten of this year.

Trav said...

I read the novel a few months ago and hated it. Palahniuk is like a literary Gerard Way; lots of melodrama and grandiose statements with, like Matt said, no substance. Upon rewatching Fight Club I felt the same thing. I felt a little embarrassed that I was suckered into reading the novel because of the themes.

Also, I don't know who Sam Rockwell is. When Confessions of A Dangerous Mind came out everyone described it as "the new Sam Rockwell movie" and talked about how exciting an actor he is. Why? And where did his following come from?

Unknown said...

IMDB says that he was "head thug" in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 1990. I remember at the time thinking a star is born!

Ashleigh New said...

Not really sure when Rockwell fell into my consciousness, but I seem to remember him having a string of great movies that really struck me at the time

a short imdb moment later...

Matchstick men and hitchhikers guide is all I got...

huh..

not sure…

but I am blown away that fight club doesn’t hold up for you Trav. I’ll have to go back and try it again soon.

Matty, great suggestion, next time I re-up Netflix I will get that.